Kadai Paneer is a very simple and easy preparation of Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) which is sometimes also known as Paneer Masala. This dish is prepared by sautéing Paneer cubes & capsicum in an onion tomato gravy flavored with special spice mixture known as Kadai Masala.
The Kadai Masala is prepared by dry roasting and grinding some signature Indian spices most notably, Dry Red Chillies, Cumin Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Fennel Seeds and whole Black Peppercorns. Using these freshly ground spices gives this dish a delectable flavor.
This is one of the simplest preparations of Paneer and the dish retains the original authentic taste of Paneer coupled with the tanginess of other ingredients and spices. If you want you can lightly roast or fry the Paneer Cubes before adding them in the gravy.
This recipe is for a dry version of Kadai Paneer. This dish can be served with Indian Breads like Rotis, Naans or with Paranthas. If you are looking for a version with gravy you can see the recipe for making Kadai Paneer Gravy.
To make Paneer Butter Masala at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
Also see more Indian Curries like Paneer Butter Masala, Methi Malai Paneer, Malai Kofta, Palak Paneer and Stuffed Tomato (Bharwan Tamatar).
Suggested Recipe Collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 12 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
Category: Main Course
|Total Time: |
Ingredients For Kadai Paneer Recipe
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum / Shimla Mirch)
- 250 Gram Paneer, cut in cubes
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic
- ~1 Inch Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 3-4 Dried Red Chillies
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 Teaspoons Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 Teaspoons Salt or as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar or 1 Teaspoon Honey, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Crushed Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
Step By Step Instructions for Kadai Paneer Recipe
- Roast Cumin Seeds, Dried Red Chillies, Coriander Seeds and Fennel Seeds (Saunf) on low heat till they become slightly dark and fragrant.
- Grind it to a coarse powder with a mortar and pestle. Adding freshly ground spices greatly enhances the taste of this dish.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ground spice powder to it.
- Roast it on low flame for a minute. Do not overcook the spices otherwise they will become bitter.
- Add finely chopped or pureed onions to the gravy and fry it for 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped or grated Ginger and Garlic and roast them.
- Add tomato puree to the pan and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.
- Add the dry spice powders, Turmeric Powder (Haldi), Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), Crushed Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi), Salt and Sugar. (The photo doesn’t show all the spices.)
- Add diced capsicum to the gravy. Add 1 Cup water to the gravy and cook for a few minutes.
- Finally add the Paneer cubes. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes till the Paneer is cooked.
- Kadai Paneer is ready. Garnish it with chopped Coriander and serve it hot with any Indian Bread like Naan, Missi Roti, Lachha Parantha.Also see more Indian Curries like Kadai Paneer Gravy, Paneer Butter Masala, Methi Malai Paneer, Malai Kofta, Palak Paneer and Stuffed Tomato (Bharwan Tamatar).